Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The importance of manicures to writing

The other day a reporter asked me how becoming published had changed my life.

I sort of drew a blank. I'm not JK Rowling, after all. My life hasn't changed all that much. The baby still wants a new diaper. The mortgage company still wants the next payment.

But today, as I was getting my nails done for the second time in four weeks, I realized that the biggest change may be this: I get manicures more often.

Spending money and time to have someone else groom your hands always seemed a bit luxurious to me. I ocassionally got a manicure. I liked getting manicures. But I saved them for special occasions -- like weddings and job interviews.

Now? Well, authors have to have good nails! Someone might ask me to sign a book! My hands have to look good! It's practically a business expense.

(Note to IRS: No, I do not mean this literally. I do not claim manicures on my taxes. I promise. Nothing to see here. Move along.)

If you want to see my nails in person, you can check them out at 4 p.m. on March 31st at Carmichael's Bookstore here in Louisville. (The Frankfort Avenue location.)

No comments: